Follow Me On Instagram

Instagram

Friday, December 9, 2011

IF: Keep in Touch


The prompt for Illustration Friday is "separated." With the recent cut backs to the USPS there have been many discussions about how we really don't even need the US mail. Many people communicate and pay bills electronically and there are other commercial shipping providers that offer the same services as the post office. My immediate reaction to the discussion is: what about sending Christmas cards? I love to walk out to my mailbox and receive an envelope that has been hand addressed, whether it is a letter, a card or an invitation. My dad is a great letter writer and I have saved his correspondence to me that date back to when I was in college. There is something warm and inviting about holding the correspondence in your hand. Yesterday I was assembling these little prints of Christmas sweaters to send out as our holiday greeting this year. With friends and family "separated" by great distances I enjoy the tangible at this time of year rather than a posting on Facebook or an email.

5 comments:

Artsnark said...

love this! Really really cute - everything is working with your color, subject & texture

Melissa Mackie said...

lovely and simplistic.....

michele said...

I agree with you, Vicki- cards and letters are very special. Those who receive your pretty card will appreciate the personal touch!
Happy Holidays to you! :o)

Nancy Grönholm said...

That sweater actually looks soft! The recipients will surely appreciate the warmth of such a beautiful card.
I agree about receiving "real" mail, there's something so wonderfully personal about it. But sometimes Facebook will just have to do. ;)

Shirley said...

SO very true, Vicki..I too enjoy receiving cards and mail and I will surely miss it if the USPS meets its demise..I wonder how long we will have this service as I don't know what I'd do without it! Your sweater illustration/card is AMAZING! So warm in concept and beautifully crafted..I am wishing you a wonderful holiday season!!