Follow Me On Instagram

Instagram

Friday, December 4, 2020

Rag Dolls

During the early days of this horrible pandemic I started to find comfort in hand sewing. I was inititially inspired by the embroidery craft of Kantha that originated in areas of the Indian subcontinent. Old saris are stacked and hand sewn to form cushions. The stitching which is not "perfect"is part of the decoration and appeal. It reminds be of hand sewn early American quilts. A mass produced or machine sewn quilt is not imbued with the same peronal touch as one that is hand sewn, in my opinion. So, I started small by making an eyeglass case and a change purse from scraps of fabric. Unfortuneately, I didn't have any saris. My results were satisfactory, but I realized that I would probably never use either item. Somehow though, this experiment led to me making rag dolls. I blog about the process on my website. All experimentation is useful and adds to our knowledge.

No comments: