Follow Me On Instagram

Instagram

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Compost!

These are some simple guidelines for composting that I have printed and posted on the side of my refrigerator. I am a big advocate of composting since it keeps our food scraps out of the landfill and leaves me with some rich soil to add to my garden each spring. It also doesn't involve spending any money once you have figured out what kind of bin that you need. When we started a compost pile about ten years ago our recycling center was actually giving away the bins. There are all kinds of guidelines online about making a bin. Just keep in mind that the compost needs to get air and you need to be able to get a shovel in there to turn it.

 

I like keeping the guidelines on the fridge since I tend to forget to add enough of the "brown" material that provides the carbon. We still get a newspaper delivered, so lately I have been better about adding shredded paper. This landscape was done in October at Merrill Creek. Just email me if you would like a pdf of the image. I would be happy to send you one!

No comments: